The spokesman for the Iranian Foreign Ministry dismissed the idea of step-by-step lifting of the US sanctions on Tehran, stressing that all sanctions imposed by Americans have to be terminated in full.
“As has been clearly stated many times, no step-by-step plan is being considered,” Saeed Khatibzadeh told Press TV on Saturday.
“The definitive policy of the Islamic Republic of Iran is the lifting of all US sanctions, whether those which Trump re-imposed after withdrawing from the JCPOA or those which he initiated, as well as sanctions imposed under any other heading,” the spokesperson noted, referring to the official name of the nuclear deal, Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action.
His remarks came in response to claims made by US State Department deputy spokeswoman Jalina Porter about a planned meeting by representatives of Iran and other countries in Vienna Tuesday to discuss the 2015 nuclear deal.
Porter said Friday that the discussion would focus on “the nuclear steps that Iran would need to take in order to return to compliance with the terms of the JCPOA”.
Following the 18th meeting of the JCPOA Joint Commission that was held via videoconference on Friday, the participants decided to proceed with the talks in Vienna next week to continue the consultations and define the measures relating to the termination of US sanctions.
The JCPOA was signed in 2015 between Iran and the Group (5+1) and endorsed by the UN Security Council Resolution 2231.
However, US President Donald Trump unilaterally pulled Washington out of the nuclear deal in May 2018 and reinstated the anti-Iranian sanctions that had been lifted by the deal.
As the remaining European parties have failed to fulfill their commitments to the accord and compensate for Washington’s absence, Iran moved in May 2019 to scale back its JCPOA commitments.
Source: Iranian media