The director of the US Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) Mike Pompeo confirmed he had sent a letter to Major General Qassem Suleimani in a bid to warn the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Commander against attacking US forces in Iraq.
Addressing a defense forum in Simi Valley, California on Saturday, Pompeo said the letter was never opened but that he wanted to send it because Soleimani had indicated his forces might threaten U.S. interests in Iraq.
“I sent a note. I sent it because he had indicated that forces under his control might in fact threaten U.S. interests in Iraq,” Pompeo said.
“He refused to open the letter — didn’t break my heart to be honest with you.”
Earlier on Friday, Fras news agency quoted the head of general Suleiman’s bureau, Mohammad Mohammadi Golpaygani as saying that the “CIA chief sent a message with a mediator in the region during (Syria’s) Al-Bukamal battles.”
Golpaygani meanwhile, stressed that Suleimani refused even to receive the letter.