Iran dismissed as “fiction” US allegations it had plotted to kill former White House national security adviser John Bolton in retaliation for the assassination of one of its top commanders.
“The US Justice Department has made allegations without providing valid evidence, creating a new work of fiction,” said Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokesman Nasser Kanani on Thursday.
“This time they have come up with a plot involving individuals like Bolton whose political career has failed,” Kanani scoffed.
Meanwhile, the Iranian diplomat warned against “any action that targets Iranian citizens by resorting to ridiculous accusations.”
Earlier on Wednesday, the US Justice Department said it had indicted a member of Iran’s Revolutionary Guards over allegations he had offered to pay an individual in the US $300,000 to kill Bolton.
The plan was allegedly set in retaliation for the US killing of top Guards commander General Qassem Suleimani who was martyred in a US strike in Baghdad in January 2020, the department added.