Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Saeed Khatibzadeh said there was no connection between the US’ “selective” move to lift a number of Iran-related sanctions and the negotiations on the revival of the 2015 nuclear deal.
“Selective US delistings are neither related to JCPOA talks nor viewed as signals of goodwill—specially when coupled with renewed economic terrorism,” the Iranian spokesperson said in a post on his Twitter account on Friday.
He also emphasized that US President Donald Trump “must abandon his ‘maximum failure’ by effectively and verifiably removing sanctions” on Iran “instead of following Trump’s footsteps”.
His comments came a day after the US Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) announced in a statement that it had dropped sanctions on three former National Iranian Oil Company officials and two companies that previously “traded” Iranian petrochemicals. It said the former officials were removed from US blacklists as they were no longer affiliated with the entities already on US sanctions list.
However, the statement added that the Treasury had imposed new sanctions on several entities it said is financially helping Yemen’s popular Ansarullah movement that has been defending the country against Saudi-led aggression since 2015.
Source: Iranian Agencies