Yemeni Armed Forces announced on Monday that they attacked a US vessel in the Red Sea, after maritime security firms reported that missiles were fired on a bulk carrier.
The spokesperson for the Yemeni Armed Forces Brigadier General Yahya Saree said the Yemeni military had carried out an operation against STAR IRIS bulk carrier with a number of “appropriate” naval missiles, and that the strikes were accurate and direct.
In a televised speech, Saree stated that the missile attack came as part of the Yemeni forces’ religious, ethical and humanitarian duties.
He reiterated that Yemen’ naval units will continue their attacks in the Red Sea and the Arabian Sea against US and Israeli-affiliated ships until the Zionist regime halts its aggression on Gaza and lifts its tight siege against Palestinians in the Strip.
Earlier on Monday, the United Kingdom Maritime Trade Operations (UKMTO) agency said it had received a report of an incident 40 nautical miles (74 km) south of Yemen’s Al-Mukha.
The Marshall Islands-flagged bulk carrier reported it had been attacked by two missiles, the UKMTO added.
In an updated advisory note it said that the crew were safe and the vessel is proceeding to its next port of call.
The Yemeni Armed Forces have staged several attacks on vessels in the Rea Sea heading towards the occupied territories. The attacks have been in solidarity with the Palestinian people and resistance who have been under brutal aggression by the Israeli occupation since October 7th.
Source: Agencies (translated and edited by Al-Manar English Website)