Families of Beirut Port blast victims on Tuesday lashed out at explosion probe’s lead investigator judge Tarek Bitar, describing him as conspirator and calling on him to resign.
In a press conference on the second anniversary of the deadly blast which killed more than 200 people and injured thousands others, spokesman of the victims’ families Ibrahim Hoteit addressed Bitar by saying “you are not only arbitrary and politicized, but you are also plotting against our cause.”
“Leave us alone. You are now our adversary; you cannot pursue the investigation. You should be ashamed of yourself and submit your resignation,” Hoteit, who is the brother of one of the victims of the August 4 blast, added.
Hoteit exposed “the facts on the basis of documents” that he said he have access to. He blamed the presence of the ammonium nitrate on the United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon, which he said was patrolling off the port of Beirut.
Hoteit also blamed the Lebanese Army and its commander-in-chief at the time, General Jean Kahwaji, who “ordered that these products were not illegal.”
Tensions had been high in Lebanon last October, as militias of Lebanese Forces ambushed a group of demonstrators who were protesting against politicization of the probe into Beirut Port blast.
The ambush killed at least six people, including a woman, and injured many others.
Hezbollah and Amal movement called for the protest at time, as they slammed judge Biitar, accusing him of being biased.
Hezbollah has repeatedly said he is keen to reveal the truth in the Beirut Port blast case, stressing that the judicial investigator should take the unbiased judicial course, away from politicization.
Source: Al-Manar English Website