Lebanon welcomed on Sunday a statement issued by Oman in which Muscat called on Arab countries to avoid escalation, as Lebanese Information Minister George Kordahi said he will not resign.
Lebanese Ministry of Foreign Affairs welcomed the statement issued by the Omani Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
The Lebanese ministry affirmed “Lebanon’s keenness to maintain the best relations with its Gulf and Arab brothers.”
Earlier on Saturday, Oman expressed regret over worsening relations between some Arab countries and Lebanon, urging all parties “to exercise restraint and work to avoid escalation and address differences through dialogue and understanding.”
For his part, Kordahi said in remarks on Sunday that his resignation was out of question, noting that several parties called on him to resign but refused to do so.
Saudi Arabia has been leading attempts to press Lebanese government to resign over remarks made by Kordahi on the Saudi-led war on Yemen.
Riyadh has expelled the Lebanese ambassador and impose a blanket ban on all imported goods from Lebanon. The Arab Kingdom has also summoned its ambassador to Lebanon for consultations.
In an Al Jazeera-affiliated youth show last August, Kordahi was asked the difference between the Lebanese Resistance group Hezbollah and the Yemeni Houthis. The information minister said Houthis defending themselves against Saudi and Emirati aggression on their country.
Kordahi defended his comments, saying he voiced his personal views before being appointed as an information minister.