Iranian Foreign Ministry’s spokesman denounced the rocket attack on the US embassy in Baghdad, noting that, however, the timing of the attack and the US’ immediate claims seems suspicious.
“Attacking diplomatic and residential premises is not acceptable, but the type of attack and its timing and the statement issued by the US Secretary of State show that the timing is very suspicious and they had already prepared a statement to publish,” Saeed Khatibzadeh said during his weekly presser on Monday, according to Mehr news agency.
The rockets, which were fired late on Sunday, landed close to the US diplomatic mission, causing sirens blaring within the compound without any casualties apart from some material damage. The rockets reportedly hit a residential complex inside the Green Zone, damaging buildings and cars, but causing no casualties.
Immediately after the rocket launch, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo accused Iran of being behind the attack by a statement published in the press service of the US State Department and also in a later tweet.
“Iran-backed militias once again flagrantly and recklessly attacked in Baghdad, wounding Iraqi civilians,” he claimed in a tweet, adding that “The people of Iraq deserve to have these attackers prosecuted. These violent and corrupt criminals must cease their destabilizing actions.”
Meanwhile, Khatibzadeh said the informal ministerial meeting of the JCPOA participants on Monday does not focus on the nuclear deal-related topics alone.
The spokesman said the foreign ministers of the remaining parties to the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) have held an informal videoconference.
Asked about the recent comments from the foreign minister of Russia about Tehran’s readiness for talks over non-JCPOA issues, Khatibzadeh reiterated that the 2015 nuclear deal would not be subject to renegotiation by any means.
“The JCPOA is an issue that has gone through its process, has been negotiated, signed and finalized, and it is impossible to reopen it,” the spokesperson added, as quoted by Tasnim news agency.
Source: Iranian media