Doctors Without Borders, the humanitarian medical organization known by its French acronym MSF(Medecins Sans Frontieres) said it was evacuating its staff from hospitals in northern Yemen on Thursday after a Saudi-led coalition air strike hit a health facility operated by the medical aid group killing 19 people.
“MSF will evacuate staff from 6 hospitals in northern Yemen due to the Saudi-led coalition’s indiscriminate bombings and unreliable reassurances,” the group said in a statement.
“This latest incident shows that the current rules of engagement, military protocols and procedures are inadequate in avoiding attacks on hospitals and need revision and changes,” said Joan Tubau, MSF general director. “MSF asks the Saudi-led coalition and the governments supporting the coalition, particularly the U.S., U.K. and France, to ensure an immediate application of measures to substantially increase the protection of civilians.”
On Tuesday a Saudi-led coalition air strike hit a hospital operated by MSF in the Abs district of Hajja province injuring 24 and killing 19 people including one of its staff members, the aid group said.
Earlier on Monday, MSF decried the “tragic consequences” of the attack on a “fully functional hospital full of patients,” saying it was the fourth such attack against an MSF facility in the past 12 months.