Syrian air defenses repelled a new Israeli aggression in the surroundings of Damascus before midnight on Saturday.
SANA news agency reported that Syrian Army’s air defenses repelled an Israeli rocket attack on the surroundings of Damascus shooting down most of them before they could reach their targets.
“At 11:30 PM on Saturday, air defenses detected hostile targets approaching from above the Golan towards the surroundings of Damascus, and the attack was dealt with immediately and efficiently, destroying most of the Israeli rockets before they could reach their targets,” SANA quoted military source as saying.
Several explosions were heard in the sky over the Syrian Capital of Damascus late Saturday.
For its part, Israeli occupation army confirmed the strikes, claiming they targeted Iranian forces near Damascus to prevent a drone attack on the Zionist entity.
“We just prevented a pending, large-scale attack of multiple killer drones on Israel by striking Iranian Quds Force operatives and Shiite Militia targets in Syria,” Israeli occupation army said on its account on Twitter.
‘Israel’ on High Alert
Later after the strikes, Israeli media reported that Israeli defense leaders held a high-level middle of the night meeting early Sunday as the occupation military girded for a possible response to its strikes in Syria.
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who is also defense minister, made a midnight trip to the Israel Occupation Forces’ headquarters in Tel Aviv, where he met with IOF chief Aviv Kohavi and Mossad head Yossi Cohen, as well as other senior defense officials, according to the Times of Israel.
Israeli military spokesman Lt. Col. Jonathan Conricus said occupation forces had been put on high alert near the Syrian frontier after the attack.
Additional Iron Dome missile defense batteries were also deployed to the occupied territories’ north to “shield from possible reprisal rocket attacks,” Israeli media reported.
In a statement issued just minutes after the Israeli occupation army announced its aggression on Syria, Netanyahu hailed the military’s “major operational effort” in “thwarting” the alleged attack planned by “the Iranian Quds force and Shiite militias.”
“Iran has no immunity anywhere,” Netanyahu said. “Our forces operate in every sector against the Iranian aggression,” Netanyahu was quoted as saying by Israeli media.
“I have directed that our forces be prepared for any scenario. We will continue to take determined and responsible action against Iran and its proxies for the security of Israel,” he added.