French Prime Minister Manuel Valls said he would extend state of emergency imposed after last year’s Paris attacks.
He was speaking on the first anniversary of the attacks by Takfiri militants, in which 130 people died.
Valls said forthcoming election campaigns would include many public gatherings, and that the measures were needed to “protect our democracy”.
France’s state of emergency was extended for six months in July.
The move followed another attack in which a lorry driver ploughed through a crowd, killing 84 people in Nice on Bastille Day.
In an interview with the BBC’s Hardtalk program, Valls said there was a risk of “attacks of the kind we saw in Nice”.
“It is difficult today to end the state of emergency,” he added.
On 13 November 2015, a group of Takfiri militants launched coordinated attacks on the Stade de France and restaurants filled with people on a Friday evening.
The Bataclan concert hall was the scene of the deadliest attack. Three gunmen enter the venue and fired on the crowd, killing 90 people.
On Saturday – the eve of the anniversary of the massacre – the Bataclan reopened with a performance by British artist Sting.
On Sunday President Hollande and the mayor of Paris will unveil plaques commemorating the victims at the six sites targeted in the atrocities, which will take place in the locations of the attacks.