Head of Yemen’s Revolutionary Committee, Mohammad Ali Al-Houthi stressed that imposing new sanctions on Yemen and a Russian veto of an anti-Iran resolution over Yemen missiles is a failure to the Saudi-US aggression on the impoverished country.
Commenting on adopting a United Nations Security Council resolution that extended for one year the sanctions against Yemen, Al-Houthi said that peace cannot be secured in Yemen by imposing new sanctions.
The new sanctions regime and the Russian veto at the UNSC “is a political failure to the US-Saudi aggression and a new beginning that aims at putting an end to the US hegemony in Yemen,” Al-Houthi said in a tweet on Tuesday.
The Yemeni revolutionary official said the UNSC resolution comes following repeated attempts by several states throughout a year to condemn Iran over alleged violation of arms embargo on Yemen.
Earlier on Monday, Russia vetoed a UN draft resolution presented by Britain and strongly backed by the United States that would have pressured Iran over allegations of violating an arms embargo on Yemen.
A report by a UN panel of experts in January accused Iran of violating arms embargo on Yemen after claiming that missiles fired by the Houthi revolutionaries at Saudi Arabia last year – in retaliation for deadly strikes staged by Saudi-led coalition- were made in Iran.
After the veto, the council unanimously adopted a Russian-drafted measure that extended for one year the sanctions regime against Yemen, but that text made no mention of Iran.