Palestinian factions announced on Tuesday an agreement had been reached to dissolve a self-proclaimed security zone of a Takfiri group which has been engaged in fierce clashes with the Joint Palestinian Security Force in Sidon’s Ain Al-Hilweh refugee camp in the last five days.
Following a meeting for representatives of Palestinian factions in the Lebanese southern city, Fatah Movement Secretary Fathi Abu al-Ardat said the factions agreed to dissolve Bilal Badr group’s so-called “security square” in Al-Tireh neighborhood, the scene of fierce clashes which took place between the terrorists and the Joint Security Force in the refugee camp.
It has been circulated since Monday night that the terrorist group leader, Bilal Badr had fled Al-Tireh neighborhood.
Abu Al-Ardat said Badr is now at large and the Joint Security Force is seeking his arrest in a bid to hand him over to Lebanese authorities.
The official in Fatah movement stressed meanwhile that the Joint Security Force will be deployed in any post across Ain Al-Hilweh camp.
Tensions have been high in Sidon since last Friday, when Badr group opened fire on the Joint Security Force fighters as they were deploying in Al-Tireh neighborhood, as a part of an agreement following an earlier battle which lasted for days in the refugee camp last February.
Schools and universities have been closed due to fierce clashes which killed at least 8 people and injured dozens others.