Sunday, 24/05/2026   
   Beirut 10:53

Axios: Trump Says US-Iran Deal to End War Will Be Finalized “Shortly”

US President Donald Trump arrives for an address at the Cross Hall of the White House on April 1, 2026 in Washington, DC. (Photo by Getty Images).

President Donald Trump said Saturday that a deal aimed at ending the war with Iran could be announced “shortly,” adding that negotiators are currently working through the “final aspects” of an emerging agreement, Axios reported.

The remarks followed a series of high-level calls with Arab and Muslim leaders, as well as Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. They mark Trump’s strongest signal yet that he is prepared to endorse a memorandum of understanding currently under negotiation with Tehran, according to Axios’ Barak Ravid.

It quoted a US official familiar with the talks as saying that the agreement is “nearly finished,” though gaps remain over the precise wording of several provisions.

The draft framework under discussion is intended to halt the conflict, gradually reopen the Strait of Hormuz, and pave the way for at least 30 days of detailed negotiations on broader issues, including Iran’s nuclear program, as reported by the US media outlet.

However, officials cautioned that earlier stages of the war saw similar near-breakthroughs that ultimately collapsed before completion.

The proposed deal has also triggered political resistance, with several hawkish Republicans issuing statements opposing any agreement. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has reportedly expressed deep skepticism and urged continued military pressure on Iran, although Trump said his latest call with him “went very well,” according to Axios.

In parallel, Trump held calls with leaders from Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Egypt, Turkey, and Pakistan. According to regional sources, several leaders urged him to finalize the agreement, stressing the need to end the conflict for the stability of the wider region.

One source told Axios that mediators were aiming to finalize a one-page framework document for announcement within days, to be followed by more detailed negotiations.

Senior US officials, including Vice President J.D. Vance and Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth, were reportedly recalled to Washington for urgent consultations on the evolving proposal, according to the US media outlet.

Earlier on Saturday, Trump said he would review Iran’s latest offer with his negotiating team and decide within days whether to continue diplomatic efforts or escalate military action, describing the chances as “50/50” at the time.

Diplomatic momentum appears to have increased in recent hours, with Pakistani Field Marshal Asim Munir—who has been playing a mediating role—leaving Tehran after discussions with senior Iranian officials. Islamabad said there was “encouraging progress toward a final understanding.”

Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, and Turkey have also reportedly intensified coordination efforts to bridge remaining gaps between the parties.

On the Iranian side, a Foreign Ministry spokesperson confirmed that discussions with the United States are in the final stage of drafting a memorandum of understanding to end the war. The draft reportedly includes provisions on the gradual reopening of the Strait of Hormuz, easing of restrictions and blockades, and the release of frozen Iranian assets, followed by a 30-to-60-day negotiation period on a comprehensive settlement.

War in Lebanon

Regarding Lebanon, Ravid reported that the draft MOU also makes clear that the war “between Israel and Hezbollah in Lebanon would end.”

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu expressed concern about that condition during a phone call with Trump on Saturday, he said in a post on X, citing an Israeli official.

Netanyahu also expressed concerns about other aspects of the deal, but “made his case in a respectful and deferential way,” a US official said, according to Ravid.

Barak Ravid Israel Lebanon War Hezbollah
Screen capture of a post by Axios’ Barak Ravid regarding ending the war in Lebanon (May 24, 2026).

The US official said: “it would not be a one-sided ceasefire and if Hezbollah tried to rearm or instigate attacks, Israel would be allowed to take action to prevent it. If Hezbollah behaves, Israel will behave.”

Ravid quoted the US official as saying: “Bibi has his domestic considerations, but Trump has the interests of the U.S. and the global economy to think about,” referring to Netanyahu by his nickname.

Source: Axios (edited by Al-Manar)