The heightened, tense atmosphere prompted by the US Israeli-Saudi threats against the resistance axis generated many questions as to where all this intimidation and threats campaign would lead.
Attempting to answer this question, we have to lay the floor for basic facts that capture the scene:
– Washington is not in its best shape, nor Saudi Arabia is. The American administration under Donald Trump is stumbling with continuous setbacks, both internal and external.
– US relation with its allies suffers major strains due to the American irrational approach to many sensitive political and economic files.
– US policies are becoming more offensive at a time when the world governments are trying to rid themselves of inflammatory rhetoric, in an attempt to remedy the present political, security and economic ailments caused by Washington across the world.
– The American administration under Trump does not have any achievement or previous glorious heritage to rely upon on its endeavors to subjugate the world. On the contrary, Washington recently has scored high in its volatile, immature and amateurish approach to many international issues; the least of is Iran nuclear deal and the nuclear crisis caused by North Korea.
As for Saudi Arabia, US number one Arab ally, things are not better.
Riyadh is equally engulfed in internal and external predicaments, also because of its wrong strategies and choices.
– Saudi Arabia has started an oppressive war in Yemen that led to a war of attrition; Riyadh can never win the war, and it cannot stop it at this point without any tangible results, as this means a total defeat to crown prince Muhamad bin Salman and would put his efforts to consolidate his reign at risk.
– Saudi Arabia has been instrumental in the war against Syria and has invested a lot of political, financial and military resources to topple the Syrian government to no avail.
– Riyadh has invested a lot of resources as well to fuel the tensions and perpetuate the crisis in Iraq supporting the takfiri groups to keep its influence over certain groups and this also failed.
– In Lebanon, Saudi Arabia has lost a lot of its influence after spending hundreds of millions of dollars to fight Hezbollah and distort its image, nonetheless it had to accept everything it refused earlier to guarantee the return Saad Hariri to the cabinet.
On the internal level, Riyadh is suffering internal disputes among the royal family. The new major changes MBS is taking is causing a lot of social and religious tension because they come as contradictory to all the country’s tradition and culture.
On the other side of the equation, the axis of the resistance seems to enjoy major advances on both political and military levels. The axis endeavors to translate this into political gains to consolidate the victory equation, along with the Russian support. This axis did not reach here with all the huge sacrifices to let the Saudis dictate their will. The different forces that comprises the axis of the resistance are determined more than any time in the past to stand up against the intimidation campaign.
Washington and Riyadh have both exhausted their choices attempting to defeat this axis; they did everything they could do to this effect, and it did not work.
The only choice left for them is to abide by the rules of the game and accept the Realpolitik, and this says as a first lesson when you are in a hole the first thing you should do is stop digging because this will lead you one sole single path, down.
It is time of awakening for Washington and Riyadh, will they?
Source: Al-Manar Website