Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif stated on Tuesday that it was an act of hypocrisy from the United States’ to sell nuclear technology to Saudi Arabia.
“Day by day it becomes clearer to the world what was always clear to us: neither human rights nor a nuclear program have been the real concern of the U.S. First a dismembered journalist; now illicit sale of nuclear technology to Saudi Arabia fully expose,” Zarif said on his Twitter account.
The statement comes after US House Oversight Committee Chairman Elijah Cummings published an interim report on the Trump’s administration plan to transfer sensitive nuclear technology to Saudi Arabia as this move reportedly could violate the US Atomic Energy Act.
According to the report, the proposal began as a bid to sell nuclear reactors to the Saudis under the direction of Trump adviser and fundraiser Tom Barrack, and was backed by former national security adviser Michael Flynn. The document stated that proponents kept on pushing the plan after Flynn was fired in February 2017.
In December last year, Senators Edward Markey and Jeff Merkley said in a letter that Donald Trump’s administration must immediately suspend any nuclear agreements with Saudi Arabia until Riyadh answers questions surrounding the murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi.