The United States on Tuesday told the UN Security Council that a draft resolution demanding a truce in Yemen should be put on hold until peace talks are held in Sweden in early December.
Britain presented the measure last week as the United Nations stepped up its diplomatic efforts to hold talks on ending the brutal Saudi-led war in Yemen.
UN envoy Martin Griffiths is hoping to bring warring sides in Yemen to Sweden for negotiations that could begin as early as December 3, according to UN diplomats.
During UN negotiations on the British-drafted text, the US mission to the United Nations said “it will be important to take into account the results of the imminent talks in Stockholm which will be a key inflection point in the political process,” according to an email message seen by AFP.
“We look forward to offering more substantive comments to the draft once we have more information on the outcomes of the upcoming consultations,” said the US mission in the message sent on Tuesday to other council members.
The proposed resolution — the first to be discussed by the council on Yemen since 2015 — would significantly ratchet up pressure on the Saudi-led coalition and Ansarullah revolutionaries to seek a negotiated settlement.
Commenting on the British-drafted resolution, Head of Yemen’s Supreme Revolutionary Committee, Mohammad Ali Al-Houthi denounced last week the resolution on Yemen, stressing it relied on Saudi narrative regarding the war on the Arab impoverished country.
“The British-drafted resolution on Yemen is disappointing and reflects irresponsibility in dealing with our people who are suffering from the siege and human rights violations,” Al-Houthi said last week.
“The resolution definitely relies on the Saudi narrative which claims that the Yemeni army and the Popular Committees shield themselves with civilians,” the Yemeni official said, underlining that the Saudi’s attempts to justify their crimes are exposed.