The United Nations Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA) said a US decision on Friday to halt funding was disappointing and surprising, and rejected the US accusation that its programs were irredeemably flawed.
“We regret the United States’ decision to provide no further funding to UNRWA, which provides essential services to Palestine refugees and contributes to stability in the region,” Chris Gunness, a spokesman for UNRWA said in a series of Twitter posts.
He stressed meanwhile, that UNRWA “enjoys the full confidence of the Secretary-General,” noting that Commissioner General Pierre Krahenbuhl “has led a rapid, innovative and tireless effort to overcome the unexpected financial crisis” the agency has faced this year.
“We reject in the strongest possible terms the criticism that UNRWA’s schools, health centers, and emergency assistance programs are ‘irredeemably flawed,'” Gunness added.
Earlier on Friday, US State Department announced that Donald Trump administration has cut all funding to the UNRWA, saying: “The United States will no longer commit further funding to this irredeemably flawed operation.”