Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said the Iranian nation will never again allow Washington to launch a coup against their government and overthrow it with the help of London like the one orchestrated in August 1953.
“65 years ago today, the US overthrew the popularly elected democratic government of Dr. Mossadegh, restoring the dictatorship & subjugating Iranians for the next 25 years. Now an “Action Group” dreams of doing the same through pressure, misinformation & demagoguery. Never again,” Zarif said in a message posted on his Twitter account on Sunday.
US State Department recently released a trove of confidential documents that disclosed more details of Britain’s role in the 1953 coup in Iran, an issue London strongly denied in the past.
On June 15, 2017, the US State Department released a long-awaited volume of declassified US government documents on the 1953 coup in Iran.
The publication of the documents put an end to decades of internal debates and public controversy after a previous official collection omitted all references to the role of American and British spy agencies in the ouster of the government of prime minister Mohammad Mosaddeq.
London had previously denied any role in the coup but the new evidence confirmed Britain’s involvement.
Source: Iranian media