At least 11 people were killed after gunmen stormed an education department compound in eastern Afghanistan Wednesday, officials said, sparking an hours-long battle with security forces in the latest attack in the restive region.
Ten others, mostly employees, were wounded in the second attack in Jalalabad city in as many days, Nangarhar provincial governor spokesman Attaullah Khogyani said in a statement.
Many of the workers were trapped inside the building during the gun battle between security forces and militants, which has ended. Twenty staff members were rescued.
The 11 dead were all employees of the education department branch and included the director, Khogyani said.
At least two attackers were involved in the raid and both were killed.
The sound of gunfire followed by a “big explosion” that shattered windows alerted Qari Samiullah to the fact that an attack was under way near his shop.
“I left my shop and ran when I heard a second explosion,” Samiullah told AFP.
“Smoke came out of the building and all the people started to run away.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the raid.
Local teachers had been delivering exam results from their schools to the office when the gunmen attacked, provincial education department spokesman Asif Shinwari told AFP.