Israeli Transportation and Intelligence Minister Yisrael Katz said there was no proposal regarding a military operation in Gaza, as he denied reaching a ceasefire with Palestinian resistance in the besieged enclave.
“Cabinet is currently reviewing no proposal by a certified authority to act in an initiated manner to subdue Hamas in Gaza,” the minister said in a Ynet studio interview on Wednesday, referring to Palestinian resistance movement.
Katz also commented on Hamas’s announcement of a ceasefire, and said, “Israel does not hold ceasefires. Our rules of engagement have changed. I won’t be surprised if Hamas realized that and we may indeed be facing a calm, just as soon as they stop firing. Israel doesn’t have anything to do in Gaza.”
Earlier on Wednesday, Hamas senior official Khalil Al-Hayya said ceasefire agreement was reached with the Zionist entity, a day after a member of Islamic Jihad, another Palestinian resistance group, also spoke of an accord.
Violence erupted on Tuesday with occupation military staging airstrikes targeting dozens of targets across Gaza. Palestinian resistance fighters were launching mortar attacks on the occupied territories in response to the continuous Israeli aggression against the coastal sliver.
On Sunday, an Israeli tank fire killed a young Palestinian man and injured another in the southern part of the Gaza Strip.
Source: Israeli media