A court in Tehran has issued death sentences for eight ISIL terrorists over their role in an attack that killed 17 people in Tehran last year.
The convicts, who had been attending court hearings since last month, were sentenced to death after being found guilty of “complicity in corruption on Earth,” head of Tehran’s Islamic Revolution courts Mousa Ghazanfarabadi said Sunday.
They are among 26 members of the Takfiri terror group which claimed responsibility for a simultaneous attack on Iran’s parliament and the mausoleum of the founder of the Islamic Republic in June 2017.
They have 20 days to appeal in Iran’s Supreme Court, Ghazanfarabadi said, adding the cases of the remaining 18 defendants will be addressed in due course.
Ghazanfarabadi said courts will also hear claims later filed by families of the victims against the United States and Saudi Arabia, which are widely believed to have created and supported ISIL.