Tehran strongly denied on Wednesday that it had supplied weapons to Yemeni revolutionaries which they used in attacks on its Saudi Arabia as alleged by both Riyadh and Washington.
“We have no arms link with Yemen,” foreign ministry spokesman Bahram Ghasemi told the ISNA news agency, after Saudi Arabia claimed it had intercepted a missile by Yemen revolutionaries over Riyadh on Tuesday that it suggested was “Iranian-manufactured”.
“The accusation that Iran gives weapons to various groups is rejected and we strongly deny it,” he said.
“Yemen is in a blockade and such possibility does not exist anyway.”
The audacious attack aimed at the heart of Saudi power follows the launch of another missile last month near Riyadh airport that triggered the tightening of a Saudi-led blockade on hunger-stricken Yemen.
Weapons used by the Yemeni forces “to defend against violation and non-stop attacks” are leftovers of previous governments, Ghasemi said.
“There isn’t even the possibility of sending humanitarian aid.”
Yemen has been since March 2015 under a brutal aggression by Saudi-led coalition, in a bid to restore power to fugitive former president Abdrabbuh Mansour Hadi.
Tens of thousands of Yemenis have been injured and martyred in Saudi-led strikes, with the vast majority of them are civilians.
However, the allied forces of the Yemeni army and popular committees established by Ansarullah revolutionaries have been heroically confronting the aggression with all means, inflicting huge losses upon Saudi-led forces.
The Saudi-led coalition – which also includes UAE, Bahrain, Egypt, Morocco, Jordan, Sudan and Kuwait – has been also imposing a blockade on the impoverished country’s ports and airports as a part of the aggression.