The Arab League on Sunday accused the Zionist entity of “playing with fire” with new security measures at Al-Aqsa Mosque.
“Al-Quds is a red line,” its chief Ahmed Abul Gheit said in a statement, adding that “no Arab or Muslim will accept violations” against the city’s holy sites.
Abul Gheit accused Israeli government of “adventurism” and said its moves could trigger a “crisis with the Arab and Muslim world”.
Tensions erupted in the occupied territories on July 14, when a deadly shooting took place outside Al-Aqsa compound.
Following the incident, Israeli police briefly shut down the al-Aqsa compound and canceled Muslim Friday prayers at the holy site.
Faced with mounting criticism, Zionist authorities reopened the compound on July 16, but with metal detectors and surveillance cameras put up at entrances.
Since then, however, Palestinians have been refusing to enter the al-Aqsa compound while holding mass prayers outside the site, many of which have turned violent.
The UN Security Council will hold closed-door talks Monday about the spiraling violence after Egypt, France and Sweden sought a meeting to “urgently discuss how calls for de-escalation in Al-Quds (Jerusalem) can be supported”.