Jailed Bahraini rights activist Nabil Rajab, who was ordered freed on bail on Wednesday, will remain in custody for questioning in a different alleged case, the regime prosecution office said.
“He will remain in jail pending the case being handled by the public prosecution, until the investigation is concluded,” regime prosecution chief Mohammed Salah said in a statement carried by state news agency BNA.
A Bahraini court had earlier ordered Rajab freed pending trial on alleged charges of spreading false information, with the case to resume on January 23.
But Salah said Rajab was being questioned in another ‘cybercrime case’ on a similar charge of “spreading false news about the situation in the kingdom.”
Rajab’s son Adam lamented the decision to keep his father behind bars.
“Sadly, my father will not be released,” he wrote on Twitter. “Those oppressors already have another case ready for him. They don’t want him out.”
Rajab has been repeatedly detained for organizing protests and publishing tweets.
He previously served two years in jail on alleged charges of taking part in unauthorized protests in Bahrain.
The Bahraini regime court has been employed as a political means to persecute the opposition figures and laymen in the Gulf country, knowing that the peaceful revolution of the Bahrainis has been striving to achieve freedom and democracy since 2011.